While watching Duke/UNC last nite, a poll was conducted asking which is the greatest rivalry in sports. I found the question very intriguing, but the choices I was offered were, well, not good. So, I'll make my own list with my own choices! And, to maintain consistency, I'll let my Top 5 include each one of my favorite five sports greatest rivlary (nfl, ncaaf, ncaab, nba, mlb, sorry NHL fans)
Here we go!
1) Yankees/Red Sox, MLB -- this blog isn't that long so I really can't list all the reasons why this is sports Greatest Rivalry. Contrary to popular opinion however, it's only been #1 for a short time. Not until the Sox actually won anything did this become a true 'rivalry'. Even when two teams hate each other, they're not true rivals until they're both good (see Nebraska/CU, football). And when Boston came back from down 0-3 in the ALCS, well, this rivalry was TRULY born. Why does this outrank Cardinals/Cubs? See above.
2) Ohio State/Michigan, NCAA football -- some really fun games got left off the list for this one, but well deserving. Big Blue could go 1-11, beat Ohio State and throw a parade......same thing in Columbus. There's a real hatred up there and when your respective stadiums hold 100k+, it can get kinda wild (apologies to Texas/OU, Army/Navy, Oregon/Oregon State)
3) Duke/UNC, NCAA basketball -- although not as much in recent years, this game can most always be counted on for a thriller -- less than 20 miles apart, these kids chewed the same dirt growing up and oftentimes got to meet 3 times each season (if not a 4th on the tourney!) Legendary coaches, amazing finishes, championship quality play, all-american after all-american -- what other college hoops rivalry even comes close?
4) Packers/Bears, NFL -- the oldest rivalry in the NFL, this one has been downright ugly over the years. Don't agree?? Just ask ANY Packers or Bears fan who lived and watched in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Pats/Colts, Broncos/Raiders, Bengals/Steelers ain't got nothing on this one, pal.
5) Celtics/Lakers, NBA -- if this list was made 25 years ago, this one almost certainly tops the charts....but it's not, so it doesn't. Reigning far supreme over any other 5-10 year 'rivalry' the NBA has offered over the years. Sure, Lakers/Kings in the 90s was fun....as was Bulls/Pistons and Lakers/Spurs. But all time?? I'll take C's vs Showtime anyday.
That's it for today -- holla tomorrow